Mariana Neagu has been an Associate-Professor of English Language and Linguistics in the Department of English at ‘Dunarea de Jos’ University of Galati, Romania, since 2001. She teaches graduate courses on Phonology, Semantics, Text Typology and Cognitive Linguistics, as well as an MA course on the Translation of Metaphor.
She is currently a member of ESSE (The European Society for the Study of English) and of ICLA (The International Cognitive Linguistics Association) and a research member of projects focusing on translation (the project entitled ‘Interface research of the original and translated text. Cognitive and communicative aspects of the message’, intracultural communication (the project entitled Society and Lifestyles: Towards Enhancing Social Harmonization through Knowledge of Subcultural Communities and intercultural communication (the project entitled Gender, Migration and Intercultural Interactions in the Mediterranean and South East Europe: an interdisciplinary perspective).
Mariana Neagu has occasionally served as a reviewer for conferences and journals (The Annual Review of Cognitive Linguistics) and participated as an Erasmus lecturer in MA and BA programmes at the University of Aachen (Rheinisch Westfalische Technische Hoschschule) and the University of La Rioja.
In 1998 Mariana Neagu completed her Ph.D in linguistics at the University of Bucuresti. Her PhD dissertation, entitled ‘Categories in Natural Languages. A Study of Nominal Polysemy in English and Romanian’ approaches polysemy from the perspective of cognitive linguistics and examines three different groups of nouns: nouns denoting animals, deverbal nouns and social terms.
In her previous research she investigated basic element metaphors (i.e. fire, water, air and earth metaphors) and prepositions from a cross-linguistic perspective and also looked into communicative issues (e.g. politeness, significant silence) from a cross-cultural perspective.
Her present research interests include aspects of cognitive linguistics: metaphor, metonymy, humour and constructions.
Some of her recent publications are the following:
- Neagu Mariana. 2000. Language, Culture and Civilization. English In and Outside the
British Isles. Galati: Editura Fundatiei Universitare "Dunarea de Jos" (140 p)
- Neagu Mariana. 2001. Variety and Style in English. Buzau: Editura Alpha (212 p)
- Neagu Mariana. 2005. Cognitive Linguistics. An Introduction. Bucuresti: Editura
Didactica si Pedagogica (179 p)
- Neagu Mariana. 2006. English Pronunciation, Spelling and Vocabulary. Bucuresti: Editura
Ministerului Educatiei si Cercetarii (129 p)
- Neagu Mariana. 2005. Understanding and Translating Metaphor. Bucuresti: Editura
Didactica si Pedagogica (231 p)
- Neagu Mariana and Carmen Patac. 2000. V. Lica. The Coming of Rome in the Dacian
World Konstanz: Universitatsverlag Konstanz (299p)
- Neagu Mariana and Isabela Miron. 2006. Alexander the Great in Mihail Sebastian’s ‘Ultima
Ora’ – CHAPTER in PHILIA Festschrift fur G. Wirth zum 80 Geburtstag, Hrsg. von
Vasile Lica unter Mitarbeit von Decebal Nedu, Academica Verlag, Galati, p. 237-289.
- Neagu Mariana. 2003. Understanding Causality: Evidence from Prepositions in English and
Romanian. In Bucharest Working Papers in Linguistics, volume V, no.2, 61-69.
- Neagu Mariana. 2003. Ethnocentrism, Relativism and Cultural Values. In Colocviile filologice
- Neagu Mariana and Anca Teleoaca. 2004. Exploiting Lakoffian Ontological and Spatial
Metaphors in an E-Language. In Bucharest Working Papers in Linguistics, vol. VI, no.2,
- Neagu Mariana. 2004. Cross-Cultural Communication: Theoretical and Practical Issues. In ISMs
and NESSes, 2nd Anti-Conference, Ovidius University Press, Constanta, 485-
- Neagu Mariana. 2004. Speaking of Significant Silence. In Analele Universitatii “Dunarea de
Jos”, Galati, 92-96.
- Neagu Mariana and Anca Teleoaca. 2005. Is There Anything Cultural in the Domain Matrix of
SOUL? In Cultural Matrix Reloaded. 7th International Conference of Romanian Society
for English and Romanian Studies, Bucuresti, Editura Didactica si Pedagogica 216-229.
- Neagu Mariana. 2005. Metonymy. A Cognitive Linguistic View. In Tradition, Modernity and
Postmodernity”International Conference, Iasi, Universitas XXI, 340-359.
- Neagu Mariana. 2006. ‘In One’s Heart of Hearts’ - the Folk Model of the Heart in English and
Romanian. In The Fellowship of Cultural Rings. Proceedings of the International
Conference Galati, October 20-21, 2005. Bucuresti: EDP, 169-175.
- Neagu Mariana. 2007. Can cognitive linguistics be applied? The case of English verb particles
and their acquisition. In Pitar Mos: A Building with a View. Papers in Honour of
Alexandra Cornilescu. Bucuresti, Editura Universitatii din Bucuresti, 471 - 489.
- Neagu Mariana. 2007. Politeness and the Public Sphere. In Communication and Argumentation in
the Public Sphere. Proceedings of the First CAPS Conference, Galati, GUP, vol. 3,
423 – 435.
- Neagu Mariana. 2007. English Verb Particles and Their Acquisition. A Cognitive Approach. In
Revista Espanola de Linguistica Aplicada, Logrono, , vol. 20, 121-138.
- Neagu Mariana. 2007. Metaphorical Thought in Culture. The Issue of Time in Romanian. In
Proceedings of Culture, Subculture, Counterculture Conference. Galati: Europlus,